Saturday, May 15, 2010

To Plant or Not to Plant, that is the question.


So my community has a community garden that we can get a 10X10 plot for $20 including the water for the season. I haven't really done much growing before but I am really interested in trying it this year. I could grow lots of wonderful things - well try to grow them...

I am trying to decide if I think I can do it, I'd have to do some volunteering in the communal part of the garden each month, but that isn't a big deal, and I would learn so much about growing my own food.

Jake and I have talked recently about being prepared for times of emergency and I think this might be a really good way for us to get started on that goal.

The picture above is what the master gardener from the community suggested I do, I thing I would substitute some changes - like beets instead of radish's and maybe some other changes...

What do you all think- can I do it? Would you all be ok with getting some lettuce when its ripe?

2 comments:

Hillary said...

That seems pretty cool! And $20 doesn't seem too bad for all of that, just think of how much you'd pay at the grocery store for all of that. Let me know what you decide. I have a little garden in our backyard that I have no clue what to do with, maybe you can teach me a few things :)

Unknown said...

I know you can do it! The feeling of satisfaction when you grow and eat your own food is amazing. Sounds cheesy, but it's true. I will be happy to help however I can. I will even have my professional gardener offer consultations whenever you want! You go girl!